Image Map

October 26, 2011

Pretty Lanterns: Diffuse Light with Lace & Fabric

 I feel like I am coming home after a really long trip...I've missed all of you so much! I realized I have not had a fun DIY in a while for you guys so I had to remedy that right away.  I am gearing up for the Christmas issue for Good Living Magazine so today's little project was one of the projects for it.
Lucky lovelies...you get a bit of Christmas fun a little early!  
Actually, this will be a warm up to November where I will begin sharing pretty packaging ideas throughout the month. I can't promise it daily but I will try to do a bunch for some fun wrapping inspiration!
But back to these pretty little lanterns!

I am excited about this one because I am also planning my table for the upcoming Christmas Tea at our church.  I think these lanterns in varying sizes would look lovely as a centerpiece.  These ones above were actually my little practice ones. :) My husband and I were at Lowe's this weekend and spotted a bunch of these lanterns on clearance at $1.08 a piece!  We literally filled up the cart with them and we bought over 20 of them. I know I will find just the perfect thing for them...oooh I can't wait!
I had this little project in mind for awhile now so I knew some spray paint love was in order. 
So I brightened them up a bit with white and found my happy place.
Sigh.  I just ♥ white spray paint.
Now for adding fabric to the removable glass panels. 
1.  I actually used craft lace and a sparkly organza material to cover the glass.
2. I used Mod Podge but I tend to be a bit heavy handed with it.
3. You can use a paint brush to spread it on.
4. But I prefer to get all messy and use my fingers.
After spreading the glue, smooth your fabric onto the glass.  Wait until they are completely dry before placing them back into your lantern.
BTW...You really don't have to be precise when you cut out the pieces of fabric.  Just lay the glass on top of the fabric and cut around it.  The edges are hidden on the inside.  
Be sure to place them inside with the fabric on the outside of the glass.
 They look so pretty with the tea lights in them!  
I love how the lace one is more see through but the organza diffuses the light with a soft glow.
I can't wait to do this for the Christmas Tea tablescape with the different sized lanterns.

Other Ideas: You could also use Vellum paper or the the plastic paper like I used for the lemonade mason jars at the girl's birthday party. Tissue paper would work too and look lovely with that diffused glow look to it.  Wrap lace around glass votives or even large vases and place larger candles in them. So, so, so pretty.  I might lace up every glass container I own!

I promise to be back soon...HUGS!





P.S.  I almost forgot...today I am at my sweet friend Tonya's blog with a guest post sharing the story of my faith for her 31 days series. 15 years ago today I met my Savior...♥


linking to:
the 36th avenue
a crafty soiree
show and share with southern lovely
someday crafts: whatever goes wednesday

27 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it.... Would be great to carry along while Caroling... : ) of course with a battery operated tea light

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a festive result! And easy too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love them!! Can I be at your table? When is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my these aare gorgeous! Love the lace panels! Thanks for sharing these lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are gorgeous! They would be beautiful for a Christmas tablescape! And isn't everything is prettier in white?! :)

    p.s. your post was featured on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess you did a great job! So so beautiful :) I love it!!! Your so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it! And I just scrolled back to your picnic party! ADORABLE!! Love the sandwiches :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jess, I just LOVE everything you do...xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea, they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. three words...FAB U LOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    sending you tons of hugs miss Jessica!!! Jersey girl to Jersey Girl...YOU ROCK!!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fa, fab, fab! thanks for this tutorial! I didn't know there was such a thing as craft lace! Through blogging, I learn something new every day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful for a Christmas/Winter tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These would be wonderful and romantic for a wedding also. Just love the soft glow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I gotta go read your story!

    These are the coolest! I am wishing we had a Lowe's close so I could go see if they had any! I think they would make really cool gifts too! I mean I'd want one for sure! They would warm my house right up! Actually I think I am going to go light some candles right now! Although Bo WILL go blow them all out in about 2 seconds flat...the down fall of living with a "firefighter" But That lace you picked...makes me want to lace EVERYTHING! Maybe I will lace something tomorrow when the boys are gone ;)

    Lib

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool! working on a lantern project myself. There's something so charming about a good old lantern. They can be used in endless ways! Thanks for your interest in my blog, you seem so sweet and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just LOVE this idea. They look beautiful! Now if only I could find some lanterns for that cheap!!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. they look so fancy! you should share this tutorial with amy at mod podge rocks blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous!!! Now I'm off to read your faith story. Can't wait! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knew there was a reason I wanted to buy those the last time I was at IKEA. My husband was with me though, so I moved on. dumb move!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Precioso nos encanta

    http://kukimuki-manualidades.blogspot.com/

    Saludos de las hermanas KukiMuki

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a SUPER FABULOUS idea--thank you so much for sharing!!! I would love to pass along some blog awards to you--you can read more about them at my blog On a Stampage to see why I would love you to accept them! :) Hope to see you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty. Congratulations on 15 years!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That turned out beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing and for linking up to last weeks show and share. We hope to see you and your newest project on Wednesday.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look gorgeous! What a great way to dress up the lanterns.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!