Image Map

September 12, 2010

Pumpkins and a Heat Index of 105

 I Love Fall!



I have been trying to hold out until the 21st to decorate around the house but I just could not do it.  So although the temp outside is probably in the low 90's...translation:  RIDICULOUSLY HOT...I had to make a seasonal change INSIDE the house.

And since we still have the title "Jobless in Florida" I need to get creative with fall decorations.  My answer?

Paper mache.

Oh, how this is a lost art.  But I believe it is making a comeback and it should since every school project I ever did had something to do with this flour and water concoction. So I decided that the girls and I needed to get in the Autumn spirit while I quarantined them into the house for fear they would melt.

So we made paper mache pumpkins!

This was the cutest little project and I would not be me if I did not take 5 trillion pictures and then post it here on the blog.  If you are interested in doing this with your little one, all you need is newspaper, flour and water.  I did 2 parts flour to one part water because I like mine a little goopy.  The goopier the better.  I first tried white glue and water but I could not figure out the right consistency so I just bagged the idea and went old school.
 First I just took newspaper and wadded it up into a ball. It was very complicated so go slow. :) OK, I ma not really trying to insult your intelligence but I did do it so that the paper kind of covered the top and the open, crumpled part was at the bottom.
 Then, I took rubber bands and wrapped them around my ball to keep it in a ball shape.  I also did this to create the shape of a pumpkin but it did not work out so well.  I will have to fine tune this.
 I made a stem out of newspaper and kind of tucked it under the rubber band.
Then I tore 465 pieces of newspaper into strips.  
OK.  That is a lie.  
But I tore a BUNCH of them.
 The girls then got messy and started putting strips all over their pumpkins
 They need to dry overnight so they can get really hard.  You can even sand them which is a step I forgot but I am kind of glad I did because they ended up all bumpy like a real pumpkin!
 
Time to PAINT! 
I only had the color Terra Cotta but I figured it will do. It's kind of orangey.
 Look at that concentration!

  My girls make me smile...just love that they like to get crafty!
 Looky there!  Our little pumpkins around the fireplace hearth.  I think they turned out great!
 The one on the left is Cati's.  Mine is in the middle and the one on the right is Ella's.  I put their names on the bottom with the date so we can put them out each year and remember this adorable and fun project. We even tied rafia on the stems for a little something extra. I just forgot to take a picture of it.

I can almost guarantee this will not be the last pumpkin craft you see here.
Are any of you already into the swing of Fall?  Have you decorated?  Am I crazy to do it this early? But seriously...it is like 85 degrees on Christmas morning here.  If I wait too long I will miss it!

Once again, I try to close a post and I just keep going and going...
Hugs to you all!

13 comments:

  1. Jessica, I too LOVE fall and was ready for a change. We started decorating Sept. 1st, that was as long as I could wait :-) I love you pumpkins so cute, being crafty is fun, and doing it on a budget is even better! Hope the weather cools down soon for you, we have been having beautiful cool about 70 degrees here in Oregon it has been nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a seasonal decorator at fall or Easter, but I go a little nuts around Christmas. It's all I can to wait till after Thanksgiving and I usually can't wait that long and then I really prolong and put off taking it down until well into January.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica! My sweet pumpkin friend! This is a great craft!I'm sitting on a big announcement...stop by tommorrow, I can't wait to shout it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica!!! I love it! I am always up for messy stuff like this! We totally will be getting out the old newspaper & getting to work in October! Thanks for sharing your idea! Your girls really did a great job & you did pretty well too :) Oh... Bo is gonna love this! I might have to turn it into a little party & get a few kids dirty! Wish you lived close so I could invite you first!

    Take care!!! Gotta run!
    Lib

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's wonderful that you are doing paper mache with your little ones. You are right, the medium is making a come back, (now even more because you did it with your kids). It is a great tool for self expression. I would hope that you revisit paper mache as they get older and watch how it all changes. Kids need a messy, expressive, creative art form. The pumpkins turned out beautifully. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun!! I will definitely do this with my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm half way considering doing this craft. That says a lot considering how little I do crafts.
    I've been thinking about you a lot. We're still praying for you guys.
    Love,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fall too...and was trying to hold out to decorate. I gave in last Sunday, Sept. 11th. Shameful of me? =) I just couldn't wait any longer! This is a very cute idea...one me and my daughter will love! Thanks for sharing!!
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun project I will share this with my grandchildren. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Fall, but living in a desert, I never get the feeling of Fall! I will hold off on the decorating for a bit. But I am so doing this with my 11 year old next week, and the teenager can join us if he likes. Definitely easy and just right for the season. Thanks for sharing! Hope you are having a great weekend. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute pumpkins! I think I'll try this with my kiddos! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These turned out so cute. Isn't fall the absolute BEST!

    Love the photos of the girls. Those faces!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jessica! It's been a while but I'm so glad I stopped by your blog. This is such an adorable project for the kids! I hope I actually follow thru and do it with mine. ;). How precious to save these forever and bring out every year, love it!!!
    You're too cute and such a good Mom. You are so blessed to be room Mom and Party Mom to boot! That is my favorite thing to do with the girls' classes. I LOVE themes! OK, now I'm rambling....
    Have a super blessed weekend chickie!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!