Image Map

February 7, 2010

A Week of Loooooove

I decided that this whole week will have a Valentine's Day Theme as part of the post. Monday through Sunday.  That is seven days of craftiness my friends!  It might be about  food, kiddie stuff, ideas that you can use at other times of the year rather than just Love Day (hint, hint) so stay tuned this week for some fun stuff.
I love getting craft inspired and this week it is is all about the L.O.V.E

OK.  I 'll stop.

Today is...A Valentine Flower Ball...

 

These pretty flower balls hang from the ceiling in Cati's room.  They were really simple to make.  

You just need:
 styrofoam balls of varying sizes
silk flowers of your choice ( I used 4 different kinds)
strong wire or cord
glue gun
wire cutters
straight pins

I decided to do this project again but with more Valentine flair and share it with all you wonderful friends who visit me here. I was convinced that all I needed to do was go to the dollar tree for my simple valentine decor but to my crafty dismay...the balls were gone.   

But when handed lemons I make a mean lemonade.  

So I shifted gears to plan B and bought two styrofoam discs and a styrofoam wreath figuring I would come up with something after I get started.  This is what I came up with...


I shall call this a Hanging Flower Ring
(what should I call it?) 

I can't think of it as a wreath because it is suspended from a ceiling or hook.  By the way, making this and the flower balls are exactly the same, you just use different shapes.
 


You will need all the supplies listed above above but replace the balls with the ring and 2 discs as pictured here.


First I cut the flowers off with a wire cutter leaving about a 1/2 inch of stem to stick into the foam. After pushing the flower into the foam, I removed it and filled the hole with little glue from the glue gun and then re-inserted the flower back in. I did this all the way around the front.  It looked liked this...

It takes about 3 or 4 rows to fill up the ring (depending on the type of flower you choose).


Next, I glued flowers to one of the round discs. 

 
With this one, I put a different type of flower (hydrangea) and did the exact same trimming of the stem.  I put another flower in the center for contrast. I glued flowers around the edge as well.

For the other disc, I used a cookie cutter to make a heart shape.


Then I chose green flowers for the heart and did the same as the ring and the disc shapes.



Finally I used this plastic cording (have no clue what it is called but it is fun since it has a tiny bit of glitter and cost .79 at Joann's). Sorry for the dark pictures.  I took these at night.



I secured a straight pin through the cord with a little hot glue to secure it.

Here I have it hanging on a front door as an alternative to suspending it from the ceiling or hook.I like that is is not too Valentine looking except for the little green heart at the bottom.  But I think only I know that is a heart.  And it's green.  So that's good. 
Did you also notice I used TWO SHADES OF PINK?  Huh? Huh? 


You love that I am a geek.  You know you do.

Do you have a crafty Valentine crafts you have done or posted?  If so let me know!  I would love to come visit you and leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Hanging Flower Ring (of Love). You amaze me. Can I come over this week and make one? I will definitely need your guidance because you know I'm totally not crafty. But I always feel so inspired when I see all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not a geek. Love each one. I never decorate for valentine's day. Now I wish I did:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the flower balls! i think they would be great for a baby or bridal shower! thanks so much for the fabulous idea! :)

    - elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!